Sunday, January 13, 2013

Writing the Routine

Count down to my first competitive gymnastics meet (in over 17 years) is on!  - D-day is February 23rd!  So it's about time I start cranking out some routines ---- (well actually - it would be CREATING some routines.)   It shouldn't be too hard, right? Beam would be a great event to start with, so I thought -  just string a few skills together with some fluffy dancie moves in between.  So, I jumped on the high beam to choreograph and just stood there motionless - like a student with writer's block - like a pen on a blank sheet of paper. "Oh man - now whatta I do?"

Time to mentally regroup.   Now at this point in my adult life- I have more experience in writing papers than creating beam routines.   So why not would tackle it like a writing assignment: outline, rough draft(s), final manuscript. 

So, I  started out with outlining my  "requirements" for my assignment.  In level 7 beam - (short hand - in layman's terms)  I'm required to do:

1) full turn on toe - 360 degrees
2) Leap or jump in 180 degree split
3) 2 acrobatic elements connected (like cartwheels, back walkovers, front walkers)
3) 1 acrobatic (tumbling) element with flight - hands and feet have to be simultaneously off the beam - aka - airborne - example would be back handspring, front handspring, dive roll.
4) Dismount with a salto (I have to flip off the beam :)

......all this with 100+  more details in less than 1:20 - ha,ha - no prob.

Breaking it down like this made the almost alien task for my adult mind quite a bit simpler - a good thing! I've been able to piece my outlined requirements together.  Now, I'm working on rough draft edits - and boy, are there some edits needed - but that is where the fun lies - in the discovery  of what works, what doesn't work, and what may work - one day.


Here is a sneak peak of my mount - it's a press handstand to a planche.  (It needs technique work as noted in the video---but it's all a work in progress - --fun work! )






I must confess that creating the beam routine requires some much needed mental stretching and chance to create and do.   Getting the opportunity to be athlete and artist  - that is what is so fascinating and alluring about gymnastics.  Going at it a 2nd a second go around - may even be better than the first!

Note:  Floor choreography to come - Jan. 27th - with help from a professional dance instructor -  artist and friend - I can't wait to share about that experience!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment